Tuesday, 27 October 2015

The Boot

Renee is going to have a field day with this.

I'm sure I can hear her laughing all the way from town, shouting "Karma!!!" from the top of her lungs as she does a hip hop routine she choreographed in my honor.

How did I get to this point? Come, sit a while and let me tell you my tale.

About a week ago, I noticed a slight pain near the top of my foot after a long day of standing while at work. I brushed it off as a side effect of the work day.

The rest of the week went the same - foot pain in the evening after being on my feet all day. Still nothing to be alarmed by, or so I thought. I kept up the running because my foot felt much better when I was wearing my amazing Saucony's.

Enter the weekend. The pain started showing up earlier in the day and by Monday morning, it was there from the minute I woke up. I had visions of what was coming. Stress fracture. The boot. No running. Renee giggling.

But maybe, just maybe, I was over reacting.

I managed to get in to see my Doctor that day. "Looks like a stress fracture."


My GP is also a runner so he is quite familiar with the entire process. He told me I would have to take a break from running for a while.

I had mixed emotions at this news. On one hand, I was planning on taking a break anyway since my vacation time is just around the corner. On the other hand, my vacation is just around the corner and I don't want to be propped up at the bar watching Todd dance like a lawnmower instead of being out on the dance floor myself. However, now I don't have to pack any running gear. But I may have to wear a boot in the hot tub.

Since I'd had the pain for a couple of weeks, the Doc figured I might benefit from an x-ray. Apparently stress fractures only show up on an x-ray once they begin to heal. He also mentioned that a bone density test might be in order. Fun times.

I had some time to think as I sat in the waiting room. A stress fracture. Me. How is that even possible?? Don't you have to run hard and often to end up with one of those? I drink tea and walk half the time.

And what will this mean for my half marathon training? Just how long will it take to fully heal? I have to be able to train. I already bought a thirteen one t-shirt from Road ID.

I decided to ask the internet. According to most (somewhat reputable) sites it can take anywhere from six to eight weeks to fully heal. That will take me to the end of the year. That still leaves me plenty of time to train, but I'll be starting from scratch, learning to run all over again. I wonder if there are any training programs that involve sitting down for two months?

The staff at x-ray were very efficient and I was in and out of the hospital in less than an hour, almost without my pants. The technician who took my scans commented on how much she liked them and told me she tried to by the same pair last week but didn't have any luck. I think she was considering asking me to change into a hospital gown.

It will take a week or more to get the results of the x-ray. I was feeling in limbo about what I should do in the meantime. My foot was aching and I just wanted it to be fixed. Sugar suggested I get a boot and start wearing it now to get a jump start on the healing process. I think Renee has been texting him.

I went online to the ultimate source of running knowledge, the PRC Facebook group. Finding a boot was proving difficult until the Awesome Ed Long offered me the use of his, delivery included.

Now I'm clomping around the house like a bowl legged member of the walking dead, but at least my foot isn't hurting. I'll miss the group run tonight and every night for the next few weeks. That makes me sad but I know it has to be done. I have to take care of myself so I can get back to walking/running and drinking tea with my peeps.

My blogs may be fewer and farther between, but I'll still be here. I somehow have the feeling that not running won't make any difference when it comes to my running adventures.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment