Monday 18 April 2016

Fridge Blindness

I love to eat, but when it comes to feeding myself I'm basically a toddler. Not in the messy, carrots in my hair sense, but in the fact that coming up with things to eat is often what sends me careening off the rails of my diet and exercise plan.

Normally, when I open the fridge to find something to have for lunch, this is what I see:


I'm a fan of quickly prepared meals. Even better, meals that are already prepared and all I have to do is warm them up. Microwavable dinners, leftovers and take out items were created with me in mind.

It's not that I can't cook. I can. Sort of. I just don't like to. If I had a choice between cooking and running, I'd probably choose running.

Luckily for me, I have Sugar. He LOVES to cook. He could spend all day in the kitchen creating amazing meals from the bad bananas, Cheese Whiz and the box of baking soda that I was able to find in the fridge. See, when he opens the door to the refrigerator, angels start to sing and he sees a totally different picture:


I am very fortunate that Sugar is supportive of my goals. He knows how hard it is for me to stay on track because, lets face it, I have no willpower. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I would live on doughnuts and Swedish Berries if it wasn't for him. 

So you can imagine how excited I was to come home from a run, half starved, to find Sugar slaving away in the kitchen. Score. There was chicken cooking, eggs boiling, vegetables being chopped. And wait...do I smell roast???

Cue the Hallelujah chorus. 

As I sit at the counter and watch him work, I start to realize that there's enough food being prepared for the 1st battalion of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. I rack my brains to think who we have invited over for a meal, but I draw a blank. Maybe he's just doing his over cooking thing, where he prepares for twenty guests when there are only four of us eating.

The penny drops when I see the plastic containers come out of the cupboard. My wonderful, amazing, supportive husband has filled my empty fridge with easily seen, easily assembled, easily prepared healthy meals for me for the entire week. He even rearranged the shelving so that all the items are at my eye level to help combat my fridge blindness. 


I have to say, it's awesome. And it's been working. I've been back on track for almost three weeks and I've dropped almost six pounds. I've been able to find time to exercise everyday too, now that I'm not spending half an hour in front of an open fridge trying to decide what to eat. 

I finally feel like I'm making some headway and I want to give credit where credit is due and say Thank You to my wonderfully amazing meal supplier. I couldn't do it without you. 

And because I don't want to end on a mushy note, here's a photo of Sugar with a bag on his head. 


No comments:

Post a Comment